Sunday, July 15, 2012

Paper Roses Tutorial


Being the creative / thrifty person that I am and loving to be crafty, I wanted to help my sister out and make some cute centerpieces for the wedding shower she is throwing. I ran across a cute blumebox on Pinterest, the link for this wasn't a diy, but rather a website where you could purchase these boxes to fold and put together yourself (flowers not included). I wanted to do this myself with as little cost as possible. So I designed a template and made the boxes myself out of flattened cardboard boxes from my work (free). And after seeing the prices for silk flowers, I decided to make the flowers myself as well.  I wanted these to match with the wedding shower invitations that I designed according to my sisters wishes. These are the results.


What you will need:
Elmers Glue (fast drying)
Scissors
Construction Paper (any color you want)
Metallic craft paint
Cuticle stick (or anything that is about the same size around)
Hot glue gun
Wooden shish kabob skewers / sticks
Green floral tape
Six petal flower patten (I included a pattern below)

Link to my flower pattern click here


This is my first attempt at adding a template so please let me know if this works. 

You start with a six petal flower pattern: (ignore the lines on this picture you don't need them)
This pattern should measures 4" x 4"  






For every 1 rose you want to make you will need to cut out three of these. I was able to fit five on a sheet of paper. Cut just inside the lines so you have no black showing on your rose.


Paint the outside edge of your flowers with a metallic craft paint. This give a beautiful shimmer effect, it makes a big difference. Just slightly dip your brush in the paint you don't want a thick even coat around the edges just a rough brushed effect.
 













Fold each flower as in the picture to find the center and create the cut lines.

Flower 1: Cut one slit just to the center point of the flower.

Flower 2: Cut out one petal (keep petal)
Flower 3: Cut out two petals keeping the two in one section (keep section)
On each of the three flowers place glue on one section then overlap the flower make sure the painted side is showing inside the now cupped flower parts. You should now have the five flower parts as shown below.




Cut the tip off of the three flower cups and the small single petal.
If you are not putting the flowers on a stick don't cut the tip of off the largest 5 petal cup.


Now take your stick and curl the petals on the three petal cups
TIP: (If you get the curl too tight loosen it a bit it makes for a more natural looking rose)


Curl the petals on the two section piece the straighten one petal back out.


 Fold it around like a funnel with the painted edges inside. Glue in place, then clip the tip off of this piece as well.



 Paint the rounded edge of the single petal on the back (optional: I did this so it had shimmer on the inside and out since you can see parts of both on this piece)
Then curl both sides in

Now that you have all your pieces glued and curled it is time to assemble the flower

On the five petal cup place glue on the inside, put glue around the outside hole of the four petal flower and place this inside the larger one turning so the petals are not lined up but rather askew. Do this for the rest of the sections also, until you have a finished rose. Let dry before moving on to the next step.
 







Once the glue is dry and the flower is held together, heat up that glue gun. 
Cut your skewer sticks in half, unless you want really long stems.
Turn the flower over, put some glue in the hold and insert the skewer. Hold this in until is drys enough to stay in place. Make sure you don't push the skewer to far in you don't want it showing through on the front side of the rose.







Wrap the stick with green floral tape, and your done.



These are the invitations I created using my Print Master program and created the centerpieces to match.

I will be adding a tutorial and template for the plumeboxes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment