Sunday, July 1, 2012

Colorado Wildfires

My heart goes out to all those in Colorado that have lost their homes and belongings to the fires raging there. Hundreds of miles away here in Kansas I have been watching and reading all the updates on the fire. The stories of loss and pictures of destruction are heart wrenching. My first thought's upon hearing of the fires is oh no I'm supposed to be getting married there in a few months, what am I supposed to do now? I know horribly selfish to think of myself considering I'm sitting here on my couch, in my home with all my belongings around me. I'm just at a loss as to what to do about my wedding. Should I just wait and see if my Colorado wedding and honeymoon are still a viable option, or should I start trying to get deposits back and re-plan everything somewhere else? My wedding is set for September. I read that as of June 30th, Firefighters had the fire in a holding pattern at the edge of Colorado Springs, and while the fire was only 100 yards from Garden of the Gods it had not yet been touched.

  
 I do however understand loss, destruction and the devastation that comes with it. Approx 30 miles from me is Joplin Missouri. Two of my sisters live there, and many friends. I live in a small town on the outskirts, the residents in my town all go to Joplin for their shopping and entertainment. In May of 2011, just over a year ago it was ravaged by an F5 tornado. Many homes, businesses, and schools were destroyed as well as one of our hospitals. Most devastating was the loss of life, 158 people died, including someone I grew up with and thought of as a brother. My sister lost her home and has just recently signed a contract on a new home, her closing is set for this Monday. She has been living in one of the Fema trailers provided for those who lost there homes. This has been an incredibly hard time for all involved, but the community pulled together and the mass number of volunteers who came into Joplin and helped it begin to heal was unbelievable and so very appreciated.

F5 Tornado Joplin Missouri
Imagine this level of destruction covering 25% of Joplin
St. Johns Hospital Joplin Missouri




No comments:

Post a Comment